July 22, 2009 was one amazing day. I had been in the hospital going on about 3 weeks when God decided the day had come to bring my Caleb into the world. I had been doing some stretching and light lifting when I started to bleed. Yes, another placenta previa episode. I immediately called my nurse "Betty" to come to my room (room number 300 at Baptist Medical Center, Downtown Jax). I share the room number, because that was a room where I learned a lot about myself, my faith and the ones who truly care for me the most.
I laid down on my awesome hospital bed and called Josh as my nurse called my doctor, Dr. Boyd. To be more precise I was seeing the entire practice; Doctors Barnes, Boyd, McIntyre and Stenklyft. I had a schedule c-section for July 25th with Dr. Stenklyft (Dr. S passed away unexpectedly in December 2009).
I called Josh and he came out to see me immediately. Matthew was at the CDC on base where he had been going during the day so Josh could work.
After the bleeding seemed to be progressing they prepared me for delivery and wheeled me to the labor and delivery pre-operating room. There I drank a concoction that helps your stomach relax for anesthesia. Josh dressed in his blue man suite (it was so funny, he looked like he had on skinny jeans with combat boots, he had come in uniform). During this time Dr. Stenklyft was so kind to come and and give me words of encouragement and told me I stood him up for our date (c-section) on Saturday:) Soon I was pushed into the operating room. It was freezing and everything was medal. I'll never forget the white wash cloth I had in my hand. They gave it to me to squeeze when I got my IV, I never let it go in the operating room. Josh wanted to take it and I said "no"! It was a very scary feeling for me. They proceeded to do their medical checks while some weird woman shot me up with anesthesia through my back (ouch). Did I mention the anesthesialogist was a crazy Russian guy, he was actually very funny.
They found Josh and in came my doctor, Dr. Boyd. He was so witty and made me feel so comfortable. He knew I was ready to go home and tired of waiting for bleeding episodes. I think he was relieved as well. I remember I kept saying I feel lots of pressure and I started feeling as if I was going to pass out. They put another drug through my iv so that my heart would pump a little faster(I have a very very slow heart rate). Dr. Boyd told Josh get your camera ready its almost time. I could hear them loudly describing what they were doing and what they could see (feet, arms, etc).
Finally, at around 11:14am, our youngest son Caleb was delivered at 36.5 days, 6 pounds 8 ounces and 19 inches long. With a loud scream and gurgling, my son was safe, I closed my eyes in relief. Josh turned to me and said "Joann, he is big, can you see him?". We were so concerned that he was not going to be a healthy size. My mom even sent us premature baby clothes by my request. Josh quickly walked over to the table where they were checking Caleb over and announced him to be very healthy (minus the undescended testicle which we are still watching). Josh brought Caleb to me but I could not hold him. I did not cry I just smiled.
After the last 4 months of doctors appointments every day, living at the hospital, having high risk ultrasounds every week I finally got him within 2 days of full term, I was proud and I was tired. Caleb was my miracle baby in every way.
Him and I had been through so much together already and I had no idea we would have another week to overcome.
The nurses had more things to do and took Caleb to the nursery. Josh went with me to recovery and left to call our family and give them the announcement. I was so out of it from the morphine when Dr. Stenklyft came to see me and told me everything went perfect. I did not have much blood loss either, this man did not even do the c-section and waited to get confirmation everything was perfect. I had been very scared of major blood loss since it can easily occur with complete placenta previa (blood was drawn every day in the hospital to prepare for a blood transfusion) ended up loosing less blood then a normal c-section, thank God.
After being in recovery I was wheeled to my room where a beautiful bouquet of flowers from my sister and a box with a necklace, picture frame and magazine sent from my mom. Ironically, they had no idea he was to be born this day.
There was a knock at the door and who could it be, but Tia Lovett a great woman I met during Matthew's kindergarten year at ACPK. Her son Bradley was in his class and she was pregnant along with me, she had a baby boy only 3 weeks earlier. Her whole family waited in the hall way. She too brought me the most beautiful carnations I have ever seen in my life and a big brother button for Matthew. Tia was so funny, she took one look at me and says "did you have the baby", yayayayay. She left soon after we talked, I truly can not remember what she and I discussed, I just remember trying to talk with her. Soon, a nurse came to my bedside and told me they took Caleb to Wolfson's NICU which was a few floors below. Apparently, they did a standard feeding procedure with a syringe and water and he started grunting because he could not breath and drink at the same time. Because Caleb was considered premature and c-section he was at high risk for a breathing issues which he indeed had. He needed to have more time transitioning on his own to breathing air. Later that evening grandma, granddad Spencer and Matthew came to meet Caleb for the first time. I was not supposed to go to the NICU that evening but after building a relationship with the nurses they agreed I was honest and would abide by their rules so they let me go. After washing our hands for 2 minutes, I was ready to introduce Matthew to his best friend for life, his brother Caleb.
As Matthew walked up to Caleb's side I said "Matty, meet your best friend little brother Caleb". He met his brother for the first time that day, attached to many machines and a face mask "cpap". However, Matthew seemed to look beyond all of that and just smiled with pride, he was finally a big brother. Matthew loves this little fella, its the best thing that has ever happened to the old family of three.
Matthew left with the Spencer's that night, so that Josh and I could have time to recoup. Josh visited Caleb in the evening and spoke with the doctors. They had taken chest xrays and believed it was only a matter of time until Caleb could come home, he was strong and healthy his lungs just needed extra time. I was not able to hold Caleb until the fourth day after he was born, it was the most amazing feeling when I got to hold him. I tried nursing him during his time at the NICU but he wouldn't, we tried everything. I'm a very determined person when its necessary, Caleb found that out soon in his life, I would not give in to "no" nursing. This is a whole different story but added to my anxiety, emotions and stress of having my newborn in the NICU.
There were several emotional days that we had after leaving the hospital without our baby boy. During one visit Caleb had an apnic incident where he stopped breathing. A nurse ran in to area we were in and nudge him, it was terrible. Days later as he was able to breath on his own, he would have to pass a car seat test before we could take him home. He failed the first time and passed the second. I was dealing with all of this while recovering from major surgery. We drove to the NICU every day to see him, do skin on skin with him and deliver pumped breast milk. I will never forget the stress leading me to break down at a local "famous Amos". I just lost it, crying. Poor Josh:)
the day finally came when the NICU doctor felt it was safe to let Caleb come home. On a rainy Friday July 31st, 2009 Caleb came home to start our bond as a family of four. This day was exciting yet scary. We had anxiety about his breathing but after the doctor reassured us she would not let him go home at risk, we felt a little better.
So after all my doctors visits, surgery, NICU visits, big time nursing issue we got our second baby boy.
Caleb we love you for the patients you have already taught us and the deeper faith we have because of you. Last but surely never the least, Matthew we love you even more for being the most loving, caring, and gentle big brother and son that you are. I always wanted a big brother like you, Matthew. I'm so happy Caleb has you, he is such a lucky little brother.
Until the next one...Just kidding.
These pictures are very personal to me, they illustrate Caleb's birth story.

1 comment:
Precious. You will be so glad you took the time to write down the details!
Post a Comment